We’re happy to announce the availability of six new JumpBoxes based on the JumpBox Platform 1.1. These are the first production releases made on this new and considerably improved platform. Here are just a few of the things that have changed with this platform revision.
- The underlying operating system has been updated to Ubuntu Linux 8.04 LTS. This has brought a number of other updates to things like Apache, MySQL and other libraries used with the applications.
- The backup system now supports Amazon S3, JumpBox to JumpBox and direct download as backup options. The addition of Amazon S3 is particularly nice as it gives you a really easy way to setup offsite backups.
- There’s a new one click tool to turn on SSL encryption for the application.
- A web stats package is now included by default and can be turned on with a single click.
- There’s a new tool to help you configure the JumpBox to send email.
- You can now put JumpBoxes into “maintenance mode” which allows you to keep users out of the application while working on administration tasks.
- In general lots and lots of bug fixes, security improvements and a number of little niceties like friendlier 404 pages have been added.
We’ll be publishing much more information on this new platform in the coming weeks as we work on getting all the existing JumpBoxes updated.
- With these new releases, licenses are only available with a JumpBox Open Subscription.
- Three of the new JumpBoxes are exclusively available to JumpBox Open Subscribers. Existing Open subscribers will receive download links along with license keys within the next day or so.
New Production JumpBoxes
- JumpBox for Movable Type 1.1.0 (Download)Movable Type is a powerful, multi-user blogging platform. It’s widely used as a business blogging tool thanks to the ease with which you can create multiple blog sites. It has a large community and many add-ons available.
- JumpBox for Drupal 6.x 1.1.0 (Download)Drupal is an Open Source, web content management (WCM) system. It provides a simple, intuitive interface that allows an individual or a community of users to easily publish, manage and organize a wide variety of content on a website without programming skills. This JumpBox is for Drupal 6.x.
- JumpBox for SugarCRM 5.x 1.1.0 (Download)SugarCRM is a market leading customer relationship management (CRM) application. SugarCRM’s open source architecture easily adapts to any business environment by offering a more flexible, cost-effective alternative than proprietary applications. This JumpBox is for SugarCRM 5.x.
New Production JumpBoxes - Exclusively Available to JumpBox Open Subscribers
- JumpBox for Nagios 1.1.0 (Info)Nagios is an Open Source host, service and network monitoring system that will watch your network and alert you to problems before your clients or end-users do. The system runs checks on hosts and services that you specify using plugins that return status information to Nagios. When problems are encountered the system will send notifications to system administrators so that they can take action on the problem.
- JumpBox for MySQL 1.1.0 (Info)MySQL is probably the most widely used relational databases around. It’s used as an integral component in many JumpBoxes and is also useful to have available in an easy to use standalone version. This JumpBox includes MySQL 5 along with PHPMyAdmin setup and ready to run. It’s a great tool for developing database backed applications and can also be used along with other JumpBoxes if you need to move the database into a separate virtual machine.
- JumpBox for LAMP Deployment 1.1.0 (Info)The JumpBox for LAMP Deployment is a great utility system that allows you to easily deploy applications where a tailored JumpBox may not exist. It contains MySQL plus PHP, Perl, Ruby and Python along with PHPMyAdmin to help you manage the database. Using the JumpBox for LAMP Deployment you can easily deploy many popular PHP applications as well as CGI based Perl, Ruby and Python applications.
Thanks for supporting JumpBox and as always, feel free to send us feedback.